My master teacher uses shared writing when we create class rules and charts to become better listeners/readers/writers. Actually...does this count as shared writing or is this more about creating community or getting input from my class? I need to think on that a little more...
As Tony demonstrated in class yesterday, shared writing can get a little chaotic. He demonstrated several ways of containing the conversation such as just shouting out an answer, choosing a table "speaker," small groups and raising hands. I found that something the instructor will have to watch out for is simply choosing the loudest person in the class, or allowing the class to be rude or mean when rejecting another student's idea. I can't say my feelings were hurt, but I could absolutely say that if you had a sensitive kiddo, and their idea was shot down immediately or harshly, they could shut down for the rest of the activity.
However, I liked that when we had a finished product (the letter to Mrs. B's class), it was indicative of everything we as a class wanted to say to the kindergartners and it was a good feeling knowing the entire class' opinions and thoughts were on the letter. It was a great model of how the lesson COULD feel, and how the lesson SHOULD feel. My blog is not incredibly profound this week because all my energy has gone into planning a lesson for my first evaluation. Sorry!
Can Messy Learning Make A Comeback?
9 months ago

Thank you for speaking up when several of us (myself included) loudly said, "no," when you suggested something. It was rude - you were right. By calling our attention to it, you made us not only examine our own behavior, but also think about how a child in our class might feel if greeted with a loud round of "no"s.
ReplyDeleteAcorngirl
Thanks, Acorngirl :) I'm so glad you know I didn't speak up to embarrass anyone, or because I myself was upset-- it was to call attention to exactly what you said: What if this happens to a child in our classroom? That turned out to be a fun day! :)
ReplyDelete